When it comes to adopting Swadeshi, why should the social media platform not be Indian?
Every morning routine and every night sleep is nowadays never complete without a phone in hand, scrolling through social media platforms. You must have an account on Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, snapchat. Nowadays social media has become a very big part of our life, whether children or adults, whether commoners or celebrities. Today everyone uses and has an account on social media.
Often some photo or video goes viral on social media and people become stars overnight. Undoubtedly, social media is very important in everyone’s life. Social media has many advantages and disadvantages as well, to prevent these disadvantages; the Government of India has started taking strict steps. Twitter is also in the news for several days.
Government may ban these foreign social media platforms if they do not change their guidelines according to the rules passed by the government.
Are there any better alternatives in case the government ban these social media platforms?
Yes, there are some Indian desi alternative apps that many of our union ministers, government departments and well known personalities have already adopted.
So here are some Indian alternatives to some well spread foreign platforms like Twitter, Whatsapp, Facebook and clubhouse.
First off we will talk about the alternative to Twitter knows as “Koo”
Koo(Indian Social Media)
- Koo is a micro-blogging platform alternative to Twitter, where users can publicly post opinions and follow other users as well. Users can post text-based Koos, multimedia content of up to 400 words, and chat with others in person. Users can also use hashtags (#) or the “@” symbol.
- It also comes with a “re-koo” feature, Koo’s version of re-tweets. The most interesting thing about Koo is that it supports six Indian languages apart from English.
Can the Koo app become an Indian alternative to Twitter?
- In March 2020, Aparamayya and Mayank launched the Koo app. In the last 14 months, this app has raised funding of about 250 cores.
- There have been about 60 lakh downloads of the Koo app on the Play Store. The Koo app had more than 3 million installs in January amid a dispute between Twitter and the government.
- The Koo app is also a winner of the Self-Reliant India Challenge.
- Many leaders including Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Piyush Goyal, Anupam Kher and Kangana Ranaut have joined the Koo app. The leaders also appealed to the people of the country to use this desi app.
- According to Siddharth Pai, founding partner of 3one4 Capital, the company that invested in the Koo app, “Indian startups were waiting for the right time. Low cost data, the growing trend of smartphones and the spirit of a self-reliant India have proved to be perfect for indigenous apps like Koo.
Apart from Koo, Tooter, Mitrasetu, Chittr and Hungry Tripper are also good alternatives of Twitter.
Sandesh : (Indian Social Media App).
Sandesh is Indian Government’s instant messaging app, now available to all. Earlier, it was available only to government officials. National Informatics Center (NIC) launched this app, promotes PM Narendra Modi’s Digital India and Atmanirbhar Bharat (Self-reliant India) initiatives.
Can the Sandesh app become the Indian alternative to WhatsApp?
- Sandesh is an instant messaging app from the Government of India to compete with WhatsApp. Made by National informatics center
- Most of the features of sandesh are similar to WhatsApp, but there are some differences. For example, you can create an account by both E-mail and contact number, unlike whatsapp. Whatsapp account can only be created using a mobile number.
- Sandesh app has more than 50 thousand downloads on the Play Store. Initially this app was for the use of government officials, but now it is available to everyone.
- Most the features offered by sandesh are the similar to whatsapp and telegram. Users can talk and share pictures, videos, GIFs with whomever they want. In addition, it is also has DigiLocker, which lets you read any PDF file.
How to download Sandesh Application
You can use Sandesh in a computer or a mobile phone. In order to use Sandesh, you can download the APK file using the link below.
Here you will find both Android and iOS files
Download the Sandesh application
Use can sign up using your contact number or E-mail
To use on a computer or laptop
Visit the official website and sign up or sign in
Share Chat:Indian Social Media
- ShareChat App is a Video Status App. It is a very popular video status app developed by the students of IIT Kanpur. This app was launched 2015 and is used by millions of people today.
- In ShareChat, you get to see videos, audios and messages and you can share them with any of your friends or family members. You can also share posts by creating your account.
Can ShareChat be an Indian alternative to Facebook?
- Share Chat has so far raised more than 5 thousand crore of funding. With this, the valuation of this indigenous social network has exceeded 15 thousand crore. The monthly active users of Share Chat are 160 million.
- It launched Moj, a short video format app, in 2020, which got 120 million monthly active users in just 9 months.
- It supports 15 Indian languages. These include languages Hindi, Malayalam, Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi, Telugu, Tamil, Bengali, Oriya, Kannada, Assamese, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Bhojpuri and Urdu.
Lehar: Indian Social Media.
- Lehar is an audio-video discussion platform. Atul Jaju and Vikas Malpani launched it in 2018. It is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
- Up to 16 people can participate in the laher discussion.
- You have to write a topic for your discussion and can add some related tags for wider reach. You can also add a link to the photo or your discussion invite. Additionally, Lehar lets you schedule your discussions for a future time.
- You can also invite participants to discussions.
Can Lehar Be the Indian Alternative to “Club House”?
- Some Indian entrepreneurs have started tweeting about Laher. This could be due to the growing interest in finding Indian alternatives to global apps. Unlike Clubhouse, Lehar has mostly Indian users.
- As of December 2020, this app has more than 1.5 lakh downloads. It has received funding of Rs 4.41 crore so far. In addition, it has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Experts believe that there are two major challenges facing such apps – network effect and capital.
The Network Effect:
- Why You Go Where You Don’t Have Friend.
- Suppose 8 out of your 10 friends are on Instagram and 2 people are on sharechat. It is more likely that you will also want to spend more time on Instagram. This is known as the network effect.
- The first challenge for Indian social media apps is how will they counter the network influence of US companies?
Former Twitter and Snapchat executive Rahul Khurshid says, “If a celebrity goes to the domestic social media platform, their fans will also reach there, but the question here is why would Elon Musk join koo?”
Capital: Earnings after long-term investment.
- Lack of capital is the biggest hurdle in the growth and flourishing of social media business. Twitter had raised funding of more than 7 thousand crore in four years of its launch. After this, it took another seven years for the company to turn profitable. Instagram had also raised about 4 thousand crore in its first two years. After this Facebook acquired it.
- Monetization of indigenous social media apps is also a major challenge for investors.
- Like Facebook and Google, they account for 85% of the digital advertising market in India.
Take the example of Facebook itself. Facebook earns Rs 1444/- per quarter from a user in the US, Rs 437/-in Europe and only Rs 153/- in a country like India.